Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I LOVE meatloaf."

For the first oh 4-5 years that Matt and I were married he swore up and down and back and forth that he HATED meatloaf!  Therefore I never cooked it.  Until one day I said you know what.. I want meatloaf and I am fixing it!  So.there.period.  And I made it, then a meatloaf monster was born.  O.M.G. burned me out on meatloaf!  But he told me that mine was better than his moms, which is why he swore he hated it, so I still cook it for him. :)  This is another meal that doesn't cause eye rolls, sighs, or grunts because the kids love it also.

This is so freaking easy it is almost crazy!

First start with 2lbs. of ground beef, I buy 85/15 for this so it doesn't have as much grease.  Again, please "smoosh" the meat so it doesn't look like worms!  I think smoosh is my new favorite word.  With the smooshed meat in a bowl add:

1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
1 tsp of onion powder (you can use real onions but my hubby HATES them, weird I know)
1 tsp of garlic powder
2 tbsp of Worchestireshire Sauce (did I spell that right?  Yeah, neither can you so hush!)
3 slices of white bread chopped WELL  (big chunks of bread in your meatloaf is gross, just sayin', you could even use Italian bread crumbs)
1/2 cup ketchup

Now that you have all that in a bowl just stick your hands in there and go to town and mix well.  You may want to have some warm water running for when you are done because your hands will be COLD!

Now I swear I did take a picture of the mixture and somehow managed to delete it off my phone.  I blame Verizon because I don't make mistakes.  As if.

Remember the bread I was talking about?  Here is a picture of how fine I get it:
I use my handy chopper to do this, no really that is what it's called!

So once you thaw out your hands put mixture into a baking dish top with more ketchup cover with foil and cook at 375 for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes remove from oven CAREFULLY, grab another set of hands and have them use a spatula to hold the meatloaf in the pan while you tilt it over the sink to pour out any grease.  And there will be grease, see:

Then put back in the oven without covering for another 15 minutes.

And there you go, another VERY easy recipe that even my husband could make.  Love you honey!


I personally love the edges.  :)

And if your kids won't eat it just ask them how piggy's eat.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally making this...thanks! Oh, and I love the crusty edges as well, it's the best part.

    ReplyDelete